Tag Archives: you said we did

You Said – We Did – August 2015

Every quarter there is a Neighbourhood Forum meeting open to all residents of St George to bring local issues to council officers and police.  An action tracker is kept of the issues raised at the each meeting and a record kept of what has been done about them.  A copy of the most recent action will be added to this report soon.

Different speakers are invited to the meeting to talk about issues that are of interest to the neighbourhood.

For this meeting on Tuesday 12th August, 2015, we had the following speakers who briefly introduced themselves and their subject and then were available during the breakout session for people to approach individually and find out more.

i) Crime and Local Policing Update – PC Pete Crawford, Avon and Somerset Police of the Local Neighbourhood Beat Team

Since our last meeting police have followed up on reports of stone throwing at a house near Dundridge Park, parking issues at Air Balloon Hill School, inconsiderate parking linked to garages on Bryants Hill and Nags Head Hill and cars hanging round Crews Hole Rd.

There has been a slight rise in burglaries, this often happens in summer  when people are more likely to leave doors and windows open.  Have a look at the summer “Do one thing” campaign for helpful advice.

There have been some unusual theft from motor vehicles incidents where cars have been broken into but nothing stolen.  “Capture cars” are being used to target these crimes.

At this meeting Pete had been advised of speeding issues on Troopers Hill Rd and Crews Hole Rd.  Susan Acton-Campbell of the volunteer local residents’ Community SpeedWatch team was able to report that at the times where speeds have been monitored since April there has been a small steady decrease in speeding vehicles on Troopers Hill Rd.  On Crews Hole Rd the percentage of speeding vehicle has held steady and Sgt Darren Warr is looking into arranging for the police camera safety van paying a visit to Crews Hole Rd.

(ii) Updates from the St George Neighbourhood Partnership from the Chair, Rob Acton-Campbell

Rob started with saying how well Redfest went this year and this was supported with further comments from the audience.

Neighbourhood Partnership plan leaflets have been printed.  Please let us know of good locations to put these leaflets.  Online information is here.

Caravans were moved on shortly after the last meeting where Sgt Darren Warr told us of issues where caravans had been reported in St George Park car park.

Developers contact the St George Neighbourhood Partnership about large developments before they make planning applications.  This is the time the community can have most influence over changes.  A planning sub-group needs to be formed to look at these pre-application plans.  If anyone is interested in joining a Planning sub-group for the St George Neighbourhood Partnership please contact us.

Displays of a development on the corner of Kingsway Avenue and Two Mile Hill Rd were on display at the meeting.

The next closing date to make applications for grant funding from the St George Neighbourhood Partnership Wellbeing fund in Monday 19th October.

Finally Rob asked for topics that people wanted discussed at the next Neighbourhood Forum on Tuesday 10th November at 7pm at Summerhill Methodist Church.  If you have ideas for topics please contact Abdul Razakahir who contact details are given at the end of this report.

iii) Brunel Fitness Centre – Ellie and Claire, Duty Manager and Manager

Bristol City Council’s Brunel Fitness Centre is open all year, while the premises are attached to the Brunel Academy it is open to all.  There are free day passes to try out the Brunel Fitness Centre.

There is junior gym for children from the age of 8.  The Centre has an exercise referral schem so if your doctor is saying that you have high blood pressure and need to exercise the Centre can help yoo.

A 3 month membership is £55.  Opening times and more information can be found here.

iv) Bristol Green Capital 2015 – Green map team – David Bain and Chris

This project, Discover East Bristol – your outdoor guide, has a team of 8 to create an attractive interesting map of East Bristol highlighting quiet routes linking green spaces.  The team are interested in your knowledge of the area and your stories.  You can learn more and complete a survey here.

The map will be available in paper format so ideas on distribution points arre welcomed.  It will also be available online and as a mobile app.  When the project finishes the information will be able to be updated.

There is funding alongside this project for route improvement and route markers.

v) First Bus Bristol –  James Freeman, Managing Director, Jenny MacLeod, General Manager, Bristol, Chris Hanson, PR England and Wales

Details of the information shared plus the questions raised and answers given can be seen here.

Here is a copy of the leaflet distributed at the meeting showing the route changes for the 42, 43, 44 and 45 buses.

bus service route map

You Said 

Issues raised at this meeting included:

– a blocked drain in Plummers Hill
– lighting and drug dealing
– anti-social behaviour

We Did

Georgie Bryant, Neighbourhood Officer was pleased to report that the alligator teeth at the entrance to the Aldi car park in Church Road were a planning requirement and it is likely these will be replaced soon.

The action tracker reporting the status of issues raised at the last meeting will be added here soon plus Streetscene enforcement actions.

Newsflash

Georgie also shared information about the “Feed Me and Win” recycling scheme, where randomly selected food waste bins put out for recycling will win their owners £50.

Feed-me-and-win-715x600

Volunteering opportunities with the St George Neighbourhood Partnership

There are several ways you can help your local community:

For people with a keen interest in how money can best be spent, there are currently 4 vacancies in the Wellbeing sub-group.  More about the sub-group, who they are and what they do on www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/subgroups/wellbeing.

Could you take a turn at summarising what happens at Forum meetings?  This report that you are reading is currently written by volunteer Susan Acton-Campbell and she also writes a single side of A4 as a summary to put up in local noticeboards.

Could you help promote the St George Neighbourhood Partnership?  One task is putting up notices to advertise activities such as the Forums, another is to help keep this website, Facebook and Twitter updated and relevant – training is given if you volunteer to do this.

Email the webteam@stgeorgenp.org.uk if you can help.

Finally

Please do not wait for a forum to report simple issues that can be reported online or by phone.  Please do make use of “Report It!”, the tab at the top right of this page.  The best way we can use Neighbourhood Forum time is raising more difficult issues.

Details of the grants awarded at the last St George Neighbourhood Partnership meeting were not circulated on this occasion but these can be seen here.

You are invited to the next Forum meeting at 7pm on Tuesday 10th November, 2015 at Summerhill Methodist Church.

If you have an idea for a subject to be spoken about that is of local interest contact our Neighbourhood Partnership Co-ordinator, 
Abdulrazak Dahir, coordinator@stgeorgenp.org.uk, telephone 0117 903 6409.

St George Community Fair – Saturday 7th March, 2015

Join us at the St George Community Fair.  It’s a great way to learn more about your neighbourhood and what it offers.

You may be surprised to find out how big your “Neighbourhood” is – from Pile Marsh to Magpie Bottom and Speedwell to Crews Hole.  Drop by the St George Neighbourhood Partnership stand to find out more.

You will be able to find out about local history, activities for all ages and much more.  There will be tasty food to buy and friendly people to meet.

You can download a free programme from here.

Publicity for this event has been funded by the St George Neighbourhood Partnership Wellbeing Fund.

St George Community Fair

You Said – We Did – November 2014

Every quarter there is a Neighbourhood Forum meeting open to all residents of St George to bring local issues to council officers and police.  A list of the issues raised at the previous meeting and what has been done about them is circulated at the meeting.

Different speakers are invited to the meeting to talk about issues that are of interest to the neighbourhood.

For this meeting on Tuesday 11th November, 2014, we had the following speakers who briefly introduced themselves and their subject and then were available during the breakout session for people to approach individually and find out more.

i) Stacy Yelland – Green Capital update

Stacy works for Up Our Street which runs Neighbourhood Forums in Easton and Lawrence Hill.  She started by describing two organisations involved in the Bristol Green Capital initiative.  Bristol 2015 as a company set up to raise money and put on events during 2015.  The Bristol Green Capital Partnership has existed for many years and is a partnership of businesses, universities and other organisations interested in the city of Bristol.

Small grants and strategic grants are available.  Examples were given of projects carried out in Easton and Lawrence that included a project where children made sculptures out of litter, bike lessons were provided so families could cycle together, energy advisors were trained, beehives set up and plants grown.

A project promoted on Twitter as #tidyBS5 is not,  in fact, a project involving St George but is solely for resident of the Lawrence Hill and Easton area.

ii) Fiona Russell and Viv Brinsdon– Meadow Vale Community
Centre Plans

Fiona is Chair of Meadow Vale Community Association.  Viv is a member of Meadow Vale Community Association.

A 3 dimensional model of the proposals for Meadow Vale community centre was brought to the meeting for comment.  The process of making a planning application has started and Lottery funding will be sought.  The layout showed the adjacent nursery park having a wild flower area, permanent outdoor table tennis table, exercise machines, ramps for scooters and bicycles and a multi-use games area.  The proposals for the new building include showers and changing rooms and a large hall with a room high enough for games such as badminton.  Some of the existing park area would be taken up by the new building.

iii) Lynn Davis and Andrew Yelland – New Crofts End Church & Community Hub Project

Crofts End Church is on the boundary of 3 neighbourhood partnership areas. In recent years 260 houses have been built within the vicinity of the church and no additional infrastructure has been provided. There are structural issues with 50% of the current church building rendering it unfit for purpose.

Crofts End Church runs George’s Coffee House 3 days a week, provides internet access for those who wish to job search and create CVs and has a long record of organising community events.

A community survey was carried out last year and a planning application submitted and approved to demolish the defective church building and rebuild providing a church, conference facilities, office space and a community cafe. The original mission hall can then be released to provide full-time community provision. The estimated cost is £1.15 million with £475,000 coming from the church. The intention is to carry out the work in 2016, opening in 2017.

A video walkthrough of how the new church will look can be seen on www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9QJqeribNI

Updates about the project will be posted on www.facebook.com/cecbuilding

iv) Denise James – Well Aware Health & Wellbeing

Denise James works for Well Aware which is funded by the Clinical Commissioning Group.  Well Aware is based at the Vassall Centre at Fishponds.

The organisation provides the following services

  1. a signposting service to organisation promoting health and wellbeing.  There are over 5,000 organisations on Well Aware’s database which anyone can access via www.wellaware.org.uk searching by location or service.  Organisation range from Walking for Health groups to counselling services.
  2. an advocacy service with the NHS, for example, if someone wants support making a complaint.
  3. Healthwatch – a means of giving feedback on good and bad experiences with health and social care services
  4. Provide complaint procedure support for families having problems with adult care and children’s social care.
  5. Provide support for those who want support via a drugs and alcohol advocacy service.

Denise had numerous helpful leaflets with her to hand out.

v) Janet Bremner – Libraries for the Future

Janet Bremner is service development manager of libraries at Bristol City Council.

Bristol City Council aim to save £1.1 million but not necessarily from the library budget. There are current 28 libraries in Bristol, some are old an some would not be easy to update.  15% of people living in Bristol use libraries at least once a year.

A consultation on libraries for the future will run until 2nd February, 2015.  A report will be prepared for the Council Cabinet for 3rd March, 2015.  Consultation on specific proposal will run between March and May 2015.

As part of the consultation a meeting will be held at St George Library on Thursday 27th November from noon-2pm.

More about the consultation can be seen here.

Here is what was done about neighbourhood issues raised in August:

You Said – We Did – August – November 2014

There has also been action from the Neighbourhood Working team on flytipping, flyposting, clearing rear lanes and waste in land.  Details can be read in

Neigbourhood Working Update – August – November 2014

Issues raised at the forum meeting of Tuesday 11th November will be added here soon.

Please do not wait for a forum to report simple issues that can be reported online or by phone.  Please do make use of “Report It!”, the tab at the top right of this page.  The best way we can use Neighbourhood Forum time is raising more difficult issues.

Details of the grants awarded at the last St George Neighbourhood Partnership meeting were not circulated on this occasion but these can be seen on www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/grants/funded/

The police were represented by Sgt Darren Warr and PC Pete Crawford..  Their update included:

  •  Anti-social behaviour reports over Hallowe’en were very low.  Police were pleased with the level of good behaviour.
  • There were also very few calls about fireworks.  One fireworks incident was attended at the carpark in the Kingsway.
  • If you are interesting in setting up your own Neighbourhood Watch group please contact Pete or Darren, either by phoning 101 or using the form on www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/your-area/st-george-south-east
  • The local neighbourhood team continue to focus on drugs.  There was a fire at a cannabis factory in Sherbourne St last month.  An arrest has been made.
  • 3 arrests have been made for possession with intent to supply class A drugs.
  • The contents on 2 cannabis factories have been seized.  Both cases will be going to crown court soon.
  • Please ring 101 if you think you know the location of a cannabis factory.  A helicopter using heat source imaging equipment can quickly check any suspicions.
  • They were pleased to announce a Community Speedwatch team of 5 local volunteers were being given the equipment that evening to start monitoring 3 locations in Crews Hole, Troopers Hill Rd and Nags Head Hill.  All 3 locations have been risk assessed and allthe volunteers have received training.  Please contact the webteam if you would like to join that group of volunteers or start a Community Speedwatch team in another part of St George.

Questions were asked about the roll out of the 20mph speed limit and the enforcement of that limit.  Once the speed limit signs are in place and the Road Traffic Orders in place, enforcement will be carried out.

An appeal was made for volunteers from Susan Acton-Campbell, St George Neighbourhood Partnership volunteer, to:

  • help put up posters about Forums and issues of community interest on at least 3 community noticeboards.  A full list of noticeboards and where they are can be found on the Contacts page.
  •  provide local knowledge and common sense to help assess grant applications made to the St George Neighbourhood Partnership Wellbeing fund.  There are currently 3 vacancies in the Wellbeing sub-group.  More about the sub-group, who they are and what they do on www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/subgroups/wellbeing
  • take turns at summarising what happens at Forum meetings.  This report that you are reading is currently written by Susan and she also writes a single side of A4 as a summary to put up in local noticeboards.
  • become a Community Speedwatch volunteer to help the 5 existing volunteers mentioned in the police report above.

Susan can be contacted via webteam@stgeorgenp.org.uk

You are invited to the next Forum meeting at 7pm on Tuesday 10th February, 2015 at Summerhill Methodist Church.  All future Forum meetings for 2015 will be at Summerhill Methodist Church.

If you have an idea for a subject to be spoken about that is of local interest contact our Neighbourhood Partnership Co-ordinator, 
Abdulrazak Dahir, coordinator@stgeorgenp.org.uk, telephone 0117 903 6409.   First will be invited to attend the next meeting to talk about local bus services.

 

You Said – We Did – November 2013

Every quarter there is a Neighbourhood Forum meeting open to all residents of St George to bring local issues to council officers and police.  A list of the issues raised at the previous meeting and what has been done about them is circulated at the meeting.

Here is what was done about the issues raised in August.

You Said – We Did – August-November 2013

There has also been Street Scene Enforcement activity over the same period, that is action to deal with flytipping, flyposting, littering and similar issues.   Details are in

Street Scene Enforcement Activity – August to November 2013

Here is the list of issues raised at the forum meeting of Tuesday 12th November.

YOU Said – 12th November 2013

Details of the grants awarded at the last St George Neighbourhood Partnership meeting were circulated.  These can be seen on http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/grants/funded/

Tony Crofts of Abolish Empty Office Buildings (AEOB) made a brief presentation.  Ellie Freeman followed with information about about “Playing Out“.

If anyone does want to start a “Playing Out” scheme in St George and needs funds, do think of applying to the St George Neighbourhood Partnership Wellbeing Fund.

Grenville Johnson talked about St George in Bloom.  Do not forget that the St George Neighbourhood Wellbeing Fund could be a source of money if you are thinking of a project to improve an area in St George.  Next closing date is  Monday 13th January with decisions being made on Tuesday, 25th March.

The police were pleased to report falling crime figures.   More detail is in their newsletter.    They announced a Crime Prevention Day on Saturday 16th November at Aldi on Church Road.   They are also interesting in talking to residents who would like to volunteer for speed monitoring training.  More details about Speedwatch to be published on this website soon.

John Atkinson, Neighbourhood Working Co-ordinator, described an initiative to track down graffiti taggers.  Success has been swift.  One young man, responsible for a large number of tags is now doing a lot of work removing tags.  This poster tells you more.

Graffiti poster

You are invited to the next Forum meeting at the Beehive Centre, Stretford Rd, next to St Ambrose Chruch at  7pm on Tuesday 11th February, 2014.

Details of all St George Neighbourhood Partnership meetings are on http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/meetings/

 

Next St George Neighbourhood Forum meeting – Tuesday, 20th August, 2013

Come and find out what has been done about the issues you or your neighbours raised at the last meeting.
www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/yousaidwedid.

Find out more about the roll out of 20 mph zones. Tell us how we can improve YOUR neighbourhood.

Speak to Council officers or the Police about problems in your area or ideas about how it can be improved.

More about this meeting and others on: www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/meetings.

See you there.

forum0813

You Said – We Did – May 2013

Every quarter there is a Neighbourhood Forum meeting open to all residents of St George to bring local issues to council officers and police.  A list of the issues raised at the previous meeting and what has been done about them is circulated at the meeting.

Here is what was done about the issues raised in February.

You said – We Did – February – May 2013

There has also been Street Scene Enforcement activity over the same period, that is action to deal with flytipping, flyposting, littering and similar issues.   Details are in

Street Scene Enforcement Activity – February to May 2013

Here is the list of issues raised at the forum meeting of Tuesday 28th May February.

YOU Said – 28th May 2013

Details of the grants awarded by the date of the last St George Neighbourhood Partnership meeting were circulated.  These can be seen on http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/grants/funded/

The Streetscene enforcement officer Chris Swinscoe gave the meeting a briefing about what his team does and answered questions about flytipping and flyposting.

Karen Baxter from First Bus publicised the current consultation on First Bus Fare.  The consultation questionnaire can be found on http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/fareconsultation and you can look at a copy of the paper questionnaire here.

We were disappointed that May Gurney failed to attend to talk about the Partnership Waste Plan.

Come to the next Forum meeting at the Beehive Centre, Stretford Rd (next to St Ambrose Church), at  7pm on Tuesday 20th August, 2013.

Details of all St George Neighbourhood Partnership meetings are on http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/meetings/

 

You Said – We Did – February 2013

Every quarter there is a Neighbourhood Forum meeting open to all residents of St George to bring local issues to council officers and police.  A list of the issues raised at the previous meeting and what has been done about them is circulated at the meeting.

Here is what was done about the issues raised in November.

You said – We Did – November 2012 – February 2013

There has also been Street Scene Enforcement activity over the same period, that is action to deal with flytipping, flyposting, littering and similar issues.   Details are in

Street Scene Enforcement Activity

Here is the list of issues raised at the forum meeting of Tuesday 12th February.

YOU Said

Come to the next Forum meeting at the Summerhill Methodist Church, 5 Air Balloon Rd (next to the Air Balloon pub), at  7pm on Tuesday 28th May, 2013.

Details of all St George Neighbourhood Partnership meetings are on http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/meetings/

 

You Said – We Did – February 2013

Every quarter there is a Neighbourhood Forum meeting open to all residents of St George to bring local issues to council officers and police.  A list of the issues raised at the previous meeting and what has been done about them is circulated at the meeting.

Here is what was done about the issues raised in November.

You said – We Did – November 2012 – February 2013

There has also been Street Scene Enforcement activity over the same period, that is action to deal with flytipping, flyposting, littering and similar issues.   Details are in

Street Scene Enforcement Activity

Here is the list of issues raised at the forum meeting of Tuesday 12th February.

YOU Said

Come to the next Forum meeting at the Summerhill Methodist Church, 5 Air Balloon Rd (next to the Air Balloon pub), at  7pm on Tuesday 28th May, 2013.

Details of all St George Neighbourhood Partnership meetings are on http://www.stgeorgenp.org.uk/meetings/